Sunday, May 19, 2013

Beautiful Feet


It is important to Tongans to have clean feet, especially for going to church or town.
I'll never forget the day my roommate Suliana and I were leaving for church, all dressed up and pretty – then she shrieked in mortification “Jenny! Your heels are so dirty! And didn't you scrub your toenails in the shower?!”
“No.” I replied. “I'm in Lafalafa, this is Holy Ground. I always take off my shoes and run barefoot.”
“Yes, but you must clean your feet well before you go anywhere” Suli explained. “Because Tongans always look at your feet. It doesn't mater if you are rich or poor, wear nice clothes or not, but always wash your feet.” =)
'Osi confirmed this rule after we married, so I always carefully scrub mine and the boys' before special occasions. After all.....
Isaiah 52:7 says “How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news,
who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion 'Your God reigns!'”

No comments: