Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Charades


I have become very good at pantomime since moving to this country.
The language barrier isn't so much a problem as it is an opportunity to practice exuberant gestures and facial expressions!
I had one such opportunity this week when a mouse jumped out of my bag and ran acrossed the floor. I screamed, like the little girl I am, and then also ran acrossed the floor to get help from the Chinese hall moniter.
The woman in uniform could not speak a word of English so I began frantically showing her "BIG TEETH!" "WHISKERS!" "TAIL!" and did my best scurrying mouse impression.
I thought I was doing a pretty good job, but she just laughed and laughed.
"BIG TEETH?!" I tried again sticking out my teeth.
"Whiskers?!" No good.
"LONG TAIL?!" She laughed even harder.
"SCURRY??!"
I'm pretty sure the only thing she heard from that conversation was "crazy American" =)
Oh well. It was a good reminder to me that actions speak louder than words. This is obviously applicable to our witness - people want us to show them Christ, show them the love, the peace, the security, and purpose we have as Christians. Without that we're just a clanging Gong or crashing cymbal or meaningless talker.
As a completely unrelated aside - here is Confucious and I

No comments: